Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Mushrooms For The Gnome House

paper mache mushroom cluster

Papier Mache Mushrooms,

I've been working on these mushrooms for about 3 days trying out different paint techniques and today I finally got the look I wanted. And they look awesome all in a cluster.. I'm so pleased!

I constructed them from tin foil covered in masking tape then I added newspaper strips dipped in glue and water. I dried them in the oven for 20 minutes at 275 degrees.
Using acrylic paints the base coat is white and yellow mixed together. The 2nd coat was a mixture of  yellow, white and brown. Once that was dry I used a dry brush with just a tiny bit of  watered down brown and also painted the edges with a mix of watered down brown and
black. They were finished off with a glossy glaze. UPDATE: I now have a video tutorial on the smaller mushrooms right here.
I took some outside, it's rainy and wet today so they fit right into their surroundings!
paper mushrooms outside

I also made some bigger mushrooms but those need to be painted then I will do a video update on the Gnome house. If you haven't been following the Gnome dollhouse progress you can catch up on youtube right here.

See you soon!


  1. Hi Sharon, its good to read your posts again after such a long while :). Great job with the mushroom and gnome.

    1. Thank you Sans!
      It's been too long, I'm happy to be back at what I love best :)

  2. I love, love, love all your ideas!


Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. Comments are visible after they are approved.